[Scribus] French Hyphenation

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Apr 12 18:17:29 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 17:50, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First of all, I would like to add my voice to what LL wrote about the
> team and the project. I cannot agree more!
>
> That said, there is still some (lots of) work to be done to achieve a
> better Scribus! But what a pleasure to work in these conditions! What
> a spirit!
>
> Would it be possible to have some information on the hyphenation
> engine? I am currently trying to figure out the limitations of
> Scribus in that area to get some improvement. Knowing how the program
> hyphenates (algorithm, dictionary) would help. For instance, maybe it
> will be sufficient to identify a few instances of words that don't
> hyphenate properly (or not at all, as I have seen) to make an
> adjustment that will have a powerfull effect on the hyphenation
> results. So, on the development side, what would be helpful?

Its based on the OO.org system. You might get better results using
manual hyphenation (ie, fully automatic off and then select a text
frame, adjust the text alignment you wish to have and then select
Hyphenation > Hyphenate Text from the Extras menu.)

Example file is at:
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/scribus/documentation/samples/hyphen.scd.gz

Craig