[Scribus] make error

Philipp Wagner lists
Mon Apr 12 07:04:20 CEST 2004

Peter Linnell wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 23:17, Philipp Wagner wrote:
>
>>Peter Linnell wrote:

>>>Complete compiling requirements:
>>>
>>>http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/scribus/documentation/index-2.html#ss2.2
>>
>>Yes, I found that now, too. Independent from that problem now, I think
>>the configure script should check a couple more things (like which
>>version of freetype2 or the gcc version), that makes the thing a whole
>>lot easier.
>

> True.
>

>>I looked at first at the System Requirements page under
>>http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/sysreq.html and there is nothing
>>about the GCC version - it's only a recommendation, but what means
>>'strongly recommended'? Eather I need it, or I don't, but 'strongly
>>recommended' doesn't say anything.
>

> That is an omission on that page and will get fixed very soon. However
> www.scribus.net is the canonical home page for Scribus.

OK, I didn't know that - scribus.net was always a tick slower than the
other one, that's why I preferred it. It didn't look outdated, and was
ok for me ;-)

> "strongly recommended"
>
> [good explanation]
>
>>From the 1.1.2 Release notes, linked on the front page:
>
> "This is the first in a series of merges of optimizing patches for
> improved performance (they work!) and adherence to stricter, more modern
> C++ coding practices.  Hence, Scribus 1.1.2 and after will not compile
> on any version of GCC older than 3.0. GCC 3.2+ is highly recommended.The
> Scribus Team decided the performance gains and cleaner code made it
> necessary to forgo supporting 2.95.x compilers. It would be impossible
> to implement these improvements with 2.95.x compilers."

If I read through that, than I get that GCC 3.0+ is required. At least
that should IMO be checked by the configure script and be in the system
requirements.

> When this was decided by the team, a survey was made to the mailing list
> asking for comments. Uniformly, the feedback was positive.

I can only agree with that, only the documentation lacks here a bit :-)

Thanks for your long and great answer, I'll try to get the new GCC and
freetype2 and hope that it works by then ;-)