[Scribus] Speed and font issues

Milan Holzäpfel mail
Fri Apr 9 11:38:43 CEST 2004

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:01:21 +0200
Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:

> I really wonder what the issue is on these systems. Scribus FLIES on
> this P4 and on my Athlon. ID2 is actually about the same speed for
> similar tasks.

I have to say that I'm not thrilled by Scribus' speed either, currently
using Scribus 1.1.6, compiled with Gentoo's ebuild. It is especially
sluggish if I enable the Grid, but otherwise it's basically Ok.
(on a AthlonXP 2000+ with 512 MBytes of RAM)

If I find a case without grid and Scribus is overly sluggish, I will try
to reproduce it and find out what's causing the speed loss.

But for me there is still some sluggish "feeling", e.g. when I change
the shape of a text box full of text. But I can't compare with other
Desktop Publishing programmes since I have never used any but Scribus.

Maybe the speed difference is somehow related to the anti-aliasing of
fonts or to some libraries. My version of freetype is 1.3.1-r3 and
2.1.5-r1 (whereas the latter is used by Scribus, I guess. The -rX is
part of Gentoo's naming scheme for ebuilds) and my version of QT is
3.3.1, compiled from Trolltech's x11-free sources. (Scribus was compiled
with 3.3.0 installed, but I don't think that should matter, it's just
the same as with 3.3.0)

Regards,
Milan

- --

           Milan Holz?pfel alias jagdfalke alias jag

              ?ff. GnuPG Schl?ssel / GnuPG Pubkey:
               http://jagdfalke.net/pubkeys.html

 Obiges kann Sarkasmus oder Ironie ohne ausdr?ckliche Hinweise
  enthalten. Also im Zweifelsfall am besten zuerst nachfragen

    The above may contain sarcasm or irony without explicit
   pointers. So if you are in doubt, it's best to ask first.

      http://jagdfalke.net/  --  http://lancerplanet.com/

       "First learn computer science and all the theory.
                Next develop a programming style.
              Then forget all that and just hack."
                    - George Carrette [1990].