[Scribus] 1.1.4 crashes on suse linux - fixed

ruth moulton ruth
Sun Apr 4 01:37:30 CEST 2004

 Thanks to everyone who sent help with this one, I finally got round to
sorting it out

to recap - all the versions of scribus in the 1.1.? series, including the
latest 1.1.6, give a segmentation fault as soon as i start to run them on a
suse 8 system.

the consesus seemed to point to problems with fonts, in particular the Hershey
fonts. By much trial and error I managed to find out exactly which fonts on
my system were causing the crash, and it DID indeed turn out to be the
Hershey fonts, so i've removed them from the X11 font directory, and scribus
1.1.6 starts up just fine, i'll be putting it through its paces tomorrow on a
publication i'm helping to format.

but for those coming after me, the fonts that I deleted were located in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW - all the files whose name started with 'h' were,
as far as I could tell, hershey fonts, so they went. The folder was in fact
linked to /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts, i.e. contained the ghost script
fonts. so what i've actually done is broken the link, so the hershey's are
still there for ghostscript to use if needed, and made a new directory URW
and copied in the unbroken fonts.

to make matters worse these fonts also make Konquerer crash, so it was more
difficult to find out what they were, and move them around.

I found my way to the X11 fonts directories by using the scribus menu item
edit/preferences/fonts

ruth

--
Ruth Moulton