[Scribus] Re: Scribus Nachrichtensammlung, Band 7, Eintrag 33

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Sep 27 16:38:01 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 09:22, Martin Costabel wrote:
> Madhulika Pareek-Joshi wrote:
> > Hi Peter:
> > Thanks for your suggestions.  I installed FLTK using Fink, but when i
> > try to compile XPP, I am receiving an error message.  Everything is fine
> > when I type the ./configure command.
>
> Really? Does it find the libfltk library and the cups/cups.h and FL/Fl.H
> headers? I found that the xpp configure script is badly broken, it
> doesn't take --includedirs and other similar options into account.
>
> > But, when I type "make", the
> > terminal simply scrolls up two three pages quickly, and shows the
> > following error on the last screen.
>
> It shows the real error somewhere on the first page, I suppose, which if
> it's the same as for me, is a message that it doesn't find some headers. Try
>
> make CPPFLAGS+="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -lfltk"
>
> If you want to compile things that use fink-installed packages, you
> should read some fink docs at
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-general.php#compile-myself
>
> Another point: I hope you installed not the "fltk" package from fink,
> but one of "fltk-x11-42" or "fltk-x11-43".
>
> Finally: Could you explain me why xpp is interesting, when we already
> have PrintCenter and the CUPS web interface on the Mac? If you convince
> me, I might make a fink package for it, so that future installations
> would be trivial.
>
> All this has nothing to do with scribus, of cours, but since you started
> this thread on this list, we might as well finish it here.

Thanks for the explanation.

The reason I suggested XPP, as there was a tech note on
linuxprinting.org (down at the moment) which recommended using this with this particular
printer model for this specific problem.

In the past, before Scribus had CUPS support, I used XPP quite
successfully and found it had more control over printing than the then
existing RH ( 7.1,7.2) printer software. With CUPS and/or kprinter with KDE3 it is
sort of obsolete.

Regards,
Peter