[Scribus] Some queries

Kevin Donnelly kevin
Fri Sep 19 12:48:16 CEST 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 00:19, Franz Schmid wrote:
> The Preferences should be remembered during sessions, there must be
> something with your rpm. Try a compile from source.

OK.  This morning I compiled from CVS.  The same thing happens.
Interestingly, if you change the fill colour for a polygon frame, then click
OK, and then go back to Preferences, the fill colour is set back to the
previous one, ie it doesn't "take" even over changes in the same instance.
Changing the font like this *does* take.  However, neither one takes over a
new instance of Scribus.  I have changed permissions on the new .scribus and
scribus.rc to 777, but that makes no difference.  This is not a major thing,
since I will just

> Scribus should support UTF-8 fully, but depending on your Application Font
> Qt sometimes misses some Glyphs when rendering Text on the Screen. When you
> import Text into Scribus you can choose the Encoding in the Fileselect Box.

This is a useful addition.  I'm seeing some oddities, but that may be due to
my KDE setup, so I won't waste your time on this until I have done a bit more
testing.

> You can freely set up you keyboard accelerators in the Preferences.

That is really cool - I'd missed that button.

> The easiest way to zoom in and out is to press the Mouse Wheel on a Wheel
> Mouse (if you have one) and rotate the Wheel, keeping it pressed.

Ah, that's useful!

[Peter: When starting some translation, please let the list know in
advance or the original writer, as I have translated half this
already..( ]

Sorry :-)  I didn't see any notes to the effect that a Welsh translation was
in the works.  I'll send you the .po file offlist, and if you want to check
it against the work you've already done we can reconcile any differences.
I'm quite happy to have all of us (including your colleague) credited, if
that helps :-)  The one benefit is that you/[s]he don't have to do the other
half!  By the way, you/[s]he might find our website of interest, since we
have been working for the past 6 months on localising KDE and Gnome, along
with some other apps, in Welsh, and we're getting on pretty well.  There is
also an online dictionary there for computer terms.

[Peter: My "See below" comments are to strongly urge you to upgrade to 1.1.0
and make sure you have libart_lgpl and libart-devel 2.3.16 and compile from
source. ]

OK.  I've got freetype2*-2.1.3 and libart* 2.3.11 at the moment, so I'll try
updating those.

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly