[Scribus] ANNOUNCE Release of Scribus 1.1.0

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Sep 10 07:10:35 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 00:27, Steve Herrick wrote:
> Peter Linnell wrote:
>
> > Do not forget the other goody in this release is the SVG import plug-in
>
> Could you give those of us new to SVG a brief intro? I understand it
> conceptually (XML-based graphics... very efficient, flexible,
> compatible, cool, etc.), but how does it apply here? For example, I
> assume this is for geometric and "cartoonish" graphics, leaving
> photo-realism to PNG.

Glad you asked. I just loaded an updated basic introduction:

http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/scribus-svg.html

That said, SVG has a lot of potential. It is great for working with
certain kinds of graphics like maps, logos and on the web it could
replace a great number of flash objects without needing a flash plug-in
- although I personally do not like flash very much.

For Scribus, because SVG is also compressible, the files are small and
for sample docs etc, it is a natural to use this for sample drawings,
borders, decorative frames etc in sample doc packages. They also print
very sharply and output to PDF with small size and good onscreen
rendering.

If you have an SVG capable browser or plug-in there are some very nicely
done demos on Adobe's SVG page.

In the next doc package, I have hope to include some sample SVG files
which demo the plug-ins.

Regards,
Peter