[Scribus] OS X port

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Tue Oct 28 02:46:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 10:58, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Scribus 1.1 via Fink (OS X 10.2.8)and am looking forward to
> putting it through the paces in a production environment. So far the
> results are promising (my earlier experiences, documented in my blog, were
> not as good and reflected my own steep learning curve with X11). I'm still
> curious, though, about the prospects for a fully-native OS X port. I know
> that Benjamin Reed of KDE/Fink did a "proof-of-concept" port earlier this
> summer, but it wasn't particularly functional, and I don't think he plans
> to update it.

> Does the Scribus team have anything official in the works?
> It would be nice to be able to access all OS X fonts and run the program
> without the overhead of X11. Not a big deal, but just thought I'd ask.

Paul Johnson, one of the developers has spent some time with a borrowed
Mac and worked on getting it to build with the GPL version of Qt for
OSX. I know he had some success, exactly what I do not know.

There are still some issues which Paul is working on and has just been
committed to cvs some patches for big-endian issues.

The major hold back is really none of the devel team have full time
access to late model Mac. I expect to have access to one later this year
for testing in a pre-press environment, but I don't code, just docs and
testing. The other is just pure developer time. All of us on the team
are married with families and full time jobs, so there are just so many
minutes in a day.

As for font access, you should be able to point Scribus to where ever
you have fonts and it should find them with the new font code.In Scribus
1.1.1+, Qt is no longer used for font handling, just freetype2. One of
my linux boxes is a dual boot Win2k box and it was trival to point
Scribus at /mnt/c/psfonts in font preferences and they show up.

That said, patches and testing would be most welcome. Soon there will be
new code in Scribus to help debugging.

Regards,
Peter