[Scribus] OS X port

Benjamin Reed ranger
Mon Oct 27 19:03:32 CET 2003

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Scribus 1.1 via Fink (OS X 10.2.8)and am looking forward to
> putting it through the paces in a production environment. So far the
> results are promising (my earlier experiences, documented in my blog, were
> not as good and reflected my own steep learning curve with X11). I'm still
> curious, though, about the prospects for a fully-native OS X port. I know
> that Benjamin Reed of KDE/Fink did a "proof-of-concept" port earlier this
> summer, but it wasn't particularly functional, and I don't think he plans
> to update it. Does the Scribus team have anything official in the works?
> It would be nice to be able to access all OS X fonts and run the program
> without the overhead of X11. Not a big deal, but just thought I'd ask.

As Scribus continues to be developed, it seems to do more X11-specific
stuff, and I'm not code-fu enough to work around it.  If anyone wants to
give it a shot, they're welcome to, but I don't really understand how
scribus does all of it's font-manipulation stuff (and how it would work
in a pure-qt implementation), which is what caused most of the issues in
a Qt/Mac port.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
gpg: 6401 D02A A35F 55E9 D7DD  71C5 52EF A366 D3F6 65FE