[Scribus] gcc 2.95 / 2.96 support - IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Paul paul
Mon Oct 27 02:53:03 CET 2003

Hi,

As of today (Mon 27 Oct), none of the developer team will guarantee that
the current version in CVS or any newer versions of the tarballs on the
scribus.org.uk (or mirrors) will work with GCC 2.95.x (2.96 under RH).
The current version on scribus.org.uk should work with 2.95 - but it
will be the last.

Sorry for any problems that may cause, but as my version of 2.96 gave up
the ghost about 30 minutes ago, neither Franz, Peter, Craig or I have a
working copy of a pre GCC 3 compiler.

Forth coming improvements rely greatly on template support which ranged
from poor to very poor under 2.9x and to progress the application on,
the decision was made by the team to drop any version under 3. A great
deal of time and effort has gone into the next set of improvements which
would be very difficult to program without template support.

We will, of course, try to support 2.9x users, but in some
circumstances, this may not be possible (such as removing some of the
optimisations or other newer features).

Thank you for your attention. We shall now return you to your scheduled
programmes...

TTFN

Paul
(on behalf of the developer team)