[Scribus] Cannot Compile on RH 8

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Oct 23 03:57:21 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:37, n n wrote:
> Keep getting some recursion error on "make".  Driving
> me nuts.  I have tried tarballs of 1.1.1 too, same
> thing.  Even downloaded the latest cvs and same issue.
>  What is wrong here, what am I missing.  Cvs package
> talks about M4 environment var for recursion errors
> but no matter what I do with that var it fails.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice

I have compiled Scribus literally at least a hundred times on RH 8 and
daily CVS until last week when I upgraded my home machine to RH9.

1. Run up2date to ensure you have all the redhat updates which included
updates to libz

Go to kde-redhat.org and install these updates which will not break
existing RH packages:

ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/8.0/RPMS.stable/libart_lgpl-2.3.16-0.fdr.0.rh80.i386.rpm
ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/8.0/RPMS.stable/libart_lgpl-devel-2.3.16-0.fdr.0.rh80.i386.rpm

2. Then follow the hints *completely* under Compiling Scribus for the
first time in documentation on the www.scribus.org.uk site. This lists
every package you will need for compiling RH.

3. Then run ./configure in the 1.1.1 source directory - it is much nicer
with the new rendering engine.

I can also recommend updating KDE and QT and ghostscript 7.07 from the
kde-redhat.org ftp site. They eliminated many small issues with KDE and
Qt, as they dropped some of the more invasive patches RH put into their
KDE/Qt packages.

That said, I dragged my feet upgrading to 9.0, but a disk crash and
fresh backups forced the issue. I am overall pleased with the upgrade
and can recommend it over 8.0 overall. In RH8, the Gnome/Gtk2 stuff was
really buggy and unstable. 9.0 really should be called 8.1.

Hope that helps,
Peter