[Scribus] PDF forms with Scribus

Maciej Hanski ma_han2000
Sat Oct 18 20:08:11 CEST 2003

Hi,
I wonder, how much of the "Acrobat JavaScript Object Specification" http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5186AcroJS.pdf is supported by Scribus. I've been playing around with setting a form field to a specific value, using Field Object Methods and Properties which are described the specification mentioned above, but I haven't succeeded so far. E.g. neither doing this to set a form field value:

	this.getField("field1").value="Bla bla bla";

nor this:

	var f = this.getField("field1");
	f.defaultValue = "Bla bla bla";

works on the form field level (in Field Properties -> Calculate -> Custom Calculation Script) or within a Global Script (Edit -> Javascripts). I inserted in both scripts app.beep(0); and app.alert('Thank you for being so kind!'); to check, if they are executed at all, and yes, they beep and alert me every time. Am I doing something wrong or are these things still work in progress?

A little OT now. I remember Paul considering once a new command line option "scribus --to-pdf <scribus.file> <output.pdf>". Since having this option would be simply brilliant  and  almost every person whom I told about the PDF form capabilities of Scribus asked for it in the first place, I'd like to know, how realistic it is to expect this feature in the future?

Very OT now: I saw the new SuSE 9.0 Professional a few hours ago, their description on the box side features "DTP with Scribus 1.0" just below "Gimp". It looks to me like Scribus was becoming one of their key applications. Have a look at their site about graphics in SuSE: http://www.suse.com/en/private/products/suse_linux/i386/graphics.html :-))

best regards
Maciej