[Scribus] Scribus and gentoo, and color management

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Oct 18 19:31:42 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 12:56, Kobus Wolvaardt wrote:
> 1.I know this is not anything to do with scribus, but thought that here
> might be a knowledged gentoo user here.
>
> If I emerge --pretend scribus the version is indicated as 1.0.1 although
> the newest ebuild file is 1.1.1 why does this happen? How do I force
> emerge to install a newer version?

That I cannot answer, but here are others on the list who might know
this.

> 2. If I include a jpeg (rgb) in a scribus and export it to printer ready
> pdf will scribus do the conversion?

Yes, but I avoid jpeg in pre-press. The original should be opened
immediately in a non-lossy compression file format: PNG or TIFF (better
usually). The file sizes will be larger, no doubt, but will cause fewer
problems in printing.

PNG's work superbly with screen shots or images with lots of solid
colors. TIFF is preferred for photos or other continuous tone images.

Jpeg is for the web and is acceptable for PDF's meant for the web. TIFF
is my choice for pre-press. Most pre-flighting systems for press-ready
PDF will flag Jpeg as an error.

If you are using the separate plug-in or have the newest GIMP 1.3.21, go
this route then import to Scribus. I am very impressed with the new
version which will become GIMP 2. I have been using the last few
development versions and there is a lot of good things including some
SVG support as well.
Hope that helps,
Peter