[Scribus] Qt 3.2.2

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Oct 17 06:58:36 CEST 2003

> I've compiled Qt 3.2.2 and recompiled Scribus with the optimisations
> which are available via the anoncvs server. There is a marked
> improvement in the Qt parts as well as a rather large speed up in the
> main application.

That's a thought. Is there any reason not to build Scribus against a
/private/ vanilla copy of qt? Given the number of issues Scribus has
with various packaged versions of qt, due to age, excessive vendor
patching, etc, I understand why you reccomend a "vanilla" current qt.
It's a right pain for most users, though.

One way around this would be to install a copy of qt in, say,
/usr/local/scribus-qt and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper script to
scribus. Is there any reason not to do this? Any other libraries not
provided by qt that could conflict?

Ideally, of course, something like this wouldn't be needed. Hopefully
once distros start packaging Scribus it'll be less of a problem.

I've just been lurking lately, but this struck me as a possibility for
working around some of the issues people have with qt without disrupting
other apps on their system. One could even, in theory, apply a patch to
qt to fix something causing problems for scribus - without worrying
about other apps.

Craig Ringer