[Scribus] changing page layout and other comments and questions

Jeremy C. Reed reed
Thu Oct 16 09:31:53 CEST 2003

I am using Scribus 1.1.1 under NetBSD. I have pkgsrc for scribus-1.1.1
if anyone is interested. (I was using 1.0.1 yesterday.)

I have a few comments and questions ...

1) Where can I change current page layout (from landscape to portrait or
page size)? It is not under "Document Setup..."

2) Maybe not be related to Scribus, but how do I get postscript generated
from File->Print to print in landscape mode?

Although the eps views locally with gv as landscape, it then prints as
portrait also,

The .ps (from print feature) is displayed with gv as portrait.

I am able to make it work, by generating a PDF, then using xpdf to create
the postscript file. Then it prints in landscape as I expect.

3) Also I saw some announcements saying it supports "kerning", but I
couldn't find it for a while in the menus.

Now I found it in 1.1.1 under Tools->Show Properties. That is more
clear. I didn't think to look at older "Show Measurements". But I do see
that right click doesn't give "Modify" any more.

It would be useful to have right click on text have sub-option for
kerning, et cetera.

4) When I have a image that is png or tiff it will print fine (other than
it may be pixelated).

But when I use a pdf or postscript image, gv will display the document and
then it will show my image on top of the document (and not in correct
place), then it flashes and the gv document viewer is blank.

If I print same document, I get blank pages.

Any ideas why that is happening?

(I can prove example files.)

5) With 1.1.1, I can move the image around in the image box. This is good!

But I don't have right-click "Modify" to change the size. I had to choose
Tools -> Show Properties and then select "Image". Please consider adding
to the right-click menu for the image properties.

I do like how it dynamically scales the actual image as I change it using
the up/down arrows. :)

6) With 1.0.1, I could see the actual typefaces in the Style->Font->Other
... selection box. That was useful. Can that be brought back?

Also, my freefonts, like Becker, were detected missing at startup. And I
was asked to do a font substitution. I worked-around this by using xset to
reload a new font directory and restarting scribus.

Thank you to the developers of Scribus. Scribus is getting a lot faster
and more useful. I am glad to do better desktop publishing under NetBSD.

My experience is a couple years of Quark Express under MacOS for
magazine, newsletter, and newspaper layout. I also have a experience with
Microsoft Publisher, PageMaker, and a few years experience with Serif
PagePlus.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/