[Scribus] Problems with PDF file size

Michael Hund Michael.Hund
Tue Oct 7 04:54:20 CEST 2003

I produced my first 24 page Triumph Newsletter last month on version
1.0.1, and was very happy with the result.

This month I produced the same size newsletter using version 1.1.0.
Certainly the font rendering is much better. In order to install from
sources, I installed ghostscript 8.11 first, then installed Scribus.
I've seen some of the ghost text boxes mentioned in earlier postings.

However, I seem to be having trouble with the pdf output. Last month the
pdf output file size was 3.5mb, from a scribus file of 308.8kb. This
month I had a pdf file size of 27.3mb, from a scribus file of 323.4kb.

As a trial I output last month's edition using 1.1.0, and the output
size is 3.3mb, so it appears to be something I've done in the new
edition, nothing to do with the new scribus version. I've looked at the
edition, and there is very little difference I can see. Obviously, there
is different text and images. I've checked each imported image size, and
nothing seems to account for it. But I might be missing something.

I had difficulty exporting the pdf, with many pages missing text, some
of it old text from the previous edition, some of it newly placed. By
going through and selecting and then unselecting everything on each
page, I was able to get it to work.

So I have the following questions:

How can the scribus file size be so small, particularly with many png
images included, some are larger than the scribus file?

When I made the new edition, in some cases I simply re-imported an image
into an existing image box. Is this OK? Does the old image information
stay in the file?

Regards,

Michael Hund

(After the new installs, my print system doesn't work, I tried
re-building cups, and even loaded esp ghostscript, but no luck, my wife
says I should go back to Windows!)