[Scribus] Font detection in 1.1.1

p linnell scribusdocs
Sat Oct 11 16:02:42 CEST 2003

ephemeron wrote:

> At Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:30:36 -0400,
> Peter Linnell wrote:

>>On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 19:50, ephemeron wrote:
>>
>>>Except for the fonts that come with X, I can't get scribus to
>>>recognize any of the fonts I have installed.
>>>
>>>What config file (whether X, freetype or Scribus's) do I need to
>>>edit to get Scribus to see the fonts installed in my system?
>>>Reverting to 1.1.0 (without so much as changing any setting in
>>>~/.scribus) appears to fix the problem.  So I must assume that
>>>the font detection in 1.1.1 is making configuration assumptions
>>>that don't exist in the distro I'm using (Debian).
>>>

>>Where are the fonts installed ?
>

> Thanks for the reply!  The results of my sloppy sed script:
>
> ~ $ dpkg -S "*.ttf" | sort | sed 's|.*/|&>| ; s|>.*||' | uniq
> ttf-bitstream-vera: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/
> ttf-dustin: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dustin/
> ttf-freefont: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/
> ttf-larabie-straight: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight/
> ttf-larabie-straight: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/larabie-straight/
>
> One of the font packages, ttf-larabie-straight, appears to be
> installed, via symlinks, in two places.  In my
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I have the following section:
<snip>

This could be the issue. Duplicate fonts are not a good thing.

Personally, I keep all True Type fonts in one directory and Type 1 fonts
in another. Then for Scribus, if I want to add or subtract fonts on the
fly, I add them to ~/.fonts and add this to my font paths in Scribus.

I am not a fan of adding lots of extra directories for font paths. This
I tend to manually add fonts or use Kfontinstaller and avoid font
packages whether rpm or other packaging.

Regards,
Peter