[Scribus] OT - free font available

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Nov 23 23:48:27 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 19:48, Petr Van?k wrote:
> On Sunday 23 of November 2003 22:51, you wrote:
> > A good find. It seems to be a high-quality replacement/variation of
> > Times Roman. Nice.. I'll play with it a bit and see how the Fiery RIP
> > like it. ( The Fiery is fussy about fonts and if it prints with out
> > errors, that is the sign of a good font.)
>
> cool QA mechanism :)))

Yes, it is. Which is why, I note in the docs how important it is to use
good fonts.

Many free fonts, especially True Type, will look decent on screen, but
when you go to actually print something to a high end printer they
break. One of the things that happens to True Type fonts is, depending
on the situation, the fonts are converted to postscript outlines or
converted to Type42 in the RIP - that is when a poorly designed font
breaks.

It is just the real world case where there are many more free True Type
fonts of dubious quality. It has nothing to do with the True Type
format.

Hope that explains a bit to the list, why this is mentioned in the docs.

Regards,
Peter