[Scribus] Scribus 1.1.2 seg fault on page insert - FIXED

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Nov 15 16:48:37 CET 2003

Peter Linnell wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 15:19, Mark Holbrook wrote:

>>Thank you so much.  I do not (but will) have a LANG set.  I would be
>>happy to send you a copy when I am done with this form.  Do I just email
>>to you?  Thanks again for the amazing fast response.
>>
>>mark
>

> Your welcome..
>
> Save with compress option, helps to protect the file..
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

After checking out this form-in-progress, I just thought I would throw
in my two cents/pence/pfennig's worth, as some advice:

The form is visually quite busy and distracting. There are probably more
lines generated than necessary, and it would seem that you haven't
allowed enough space for people to write.

Over the years, I have generated a number of forms -- I'm a neurologist
and use them for record-keeping of examination findings and other kinds
of reports. When my Amigas were up and running, I used to use
Professional Page for some of them. The ability to resize and move
elements around in DTP software is an almost essential feature.

On the other hand, If all you want to do is generate a text-with-lines-
and-boxes kind of form, I'm not sure DTP is worth the work. (But
sometimes, you might generate a page with something else, leave a blank
space for DTP, and then plunk something carefully into the space)
There's a bit of a learning curve, but tetex is very good at that
text/lines/boxes/tables. And with additional bits of software, you can
convert to almost anything you want: PDF, PS, HTML. I will try to whip
up an example with your form and send it. The nice thing about tex/latex
files is they are quite small.

Now, if scribus could eventually import something that tex/latex can do,
such as minipages, that would be quite something!

Stepping back to the scribus approach, I would like to suggest you look
for these books by Edward Tufte (Graphics Press):
	The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, and
	Envisioning Information

These are excellent sources for learning, almost tutorials on layout and
design -- with excellent examples.

Greg Pittman