[Scribus] imports

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Tue Nov 4 08:49:11 CET 2003

Hi Craig,

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 01:28, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > One reason for the ubiquity of EPS files in DTP is there is another DTP
> > application which historically had poor support for TIFF and other
> > bitmap image files, but does have good support for EPS import. So, many
> > DTP users habitually create EPS files from bitmap images from Photoshop
> > or others.
>
> It's also still useful when you need a clipping path embedded in an
> image.

Forgot about that.. Thanks. You could also do the same thing via PDF.
However, as I know you are battling poor PDF importing in Quark this is
not an attractive option.

> We use EPS images a LOT here for that reason. Does TIFF support
> embedded clipping paths? I expect that Quark wouldn't be able to use it
> even if the file format did support it, of course :-(

Yes, you can, PS > Pagemaker is the only way to get transparency in
Pagemaker since IIRC PM 5.0 But, it works.. PM 7 can bring in native PSD
with layers intact.

You know the funny thing is seeing Scribus work side by side with other
DTP apps, is:

1. With the new performance tweaks, which are not fully implemented,
Scribus really does have the speed to keep up with the commercial
offerings on decent DTP hardware.

2. The bottom line: the print quality with Scribus with properly setup
CUPS or PDF export is really superb. When I send a PDF to my clients
Fiery it typically has more sharpness and sharpness.

3. You can simply get things done faster.

Regards,
Peter