[Scribus] 1.1.2

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Nov 2 05:06:10 CET 2003

Well, after spending the day trying an "upgrade" of RH9 to clear up the
mess affecting not only Scribus but a whole lot of other programs, I
ended up doing a whole reinstall of RH9, then getting updates, then
compiling v. 1.1.2 -- WOW!  Now I can see what it's supposed to look
like.  Really works well, even though I don't have the absolute latest
Qt (3.1.1-6), but I will probably get 3.1.2 and recompile.

All the units/values problems are gone, everything much smoother.  There
is still the issue of having to manually change line spacing when you
change font size; also all the lines have to have the same line spacing
even when you mix up fonts and sizes -- I think the spacing should be
automatic (by % according to font size) with the ability to manually
adjust.  All sorts of ad layouts (for example) mix up typefaces, sizes
and line spacing, so I think it's something a good DTP program must have.

I've just started reading Eric Raymond's new book, "The Art of Unix
Programming", and one thing that occurs to me as he talks about good or
elegant programs is that Scribus's user interface is too complicated:
too many menu items, too many different ways to do the same thing.
Here's an example: there doesn't really seem to be a need to have two
separate buttons on the toolbar for text boxes and picture boxes,
especially when a right click in the box allows you to switch the type
of the box anyway.

It seems there should be some arbitrary goal set to reduce the number of
buttons and menu choices by 1/3 to 1/2 while maintaining all the
functionality -- I think it's doable.

Greg Pittman
Louisville