[Scribus] PDF question

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun May 4 02:37:17 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 11:20, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since Scribus does such an excellent job of saving to PDF, I am
> wondering if there are any plans to also be able to load PDF files in
> order to alter and resave them?
>
> Right now, when trying to load a pdf, Scribus just quits
>  with a segmentation fault.  Shouldn't it at least come back with an
> error window about unrecognisable file format or something?  Might save
> somebody's work sometime when you mistakenly try to load a file
> format Scribus doesn't know while working on another project.
>
> Patrick

I too would love this, as it works around the need to create all kinds
of application specific import filters, which are not part of the Qt
toolkit.

That said, creating a good import filter for PDF is almost an
application in itself. I note the PDF import filter for Pagemaker 7 is 5
Mb just for a plug-in. Indesign's is similarly sized. It is also *very*
hard to do. Quark Xpress IMO is not that great.  Applications each have
their own way of creating PDF and parsing and editing the internals of
the PDF is not always easy.

Peter

--
Peter Linnell <scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com>