[Scribus] Fonts example

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Mar 29 03:51:00 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 10:01, Mark Muller wrote:
> www.btinternet.com/~m.muller/fonts.html
>
> Shows how badly typeface's are currently rendering under my linux system. Is
> this as good as it gets or could there be a solution...
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Muller

No, with the 3.1.2 update to Qt, it fixes a lot of the problems with
font display.  Here is a screen cap with an assortment of fonts
including a couple of favorites which do not really display well, even
on Win2k, ex Adobe Caslon Demi. These typically do not display well as
they have thin stems and descenders which split pixels on sreen. They do
print superbly though.

http://atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/test/adobeT1fonts.png

I recall the display errors was fixed by re-running the t1utils within
the relevant Type font directory which can be found at
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/X11/xutils/

You might also want to look at the notes on Redhat 8.0, which has
similar issues with the new fontconfig/Xft2 font mechanism.

Hope that helps,

Peter