[Scribus] Re: Test and Hello ...

Steve Herrick steveh
Mon Mar 3 17:19:07 CET 2003

Quoting P Linnell <plinnell at attbi.com>:

> Welcome all.
>
> I am the primary documenter for Scribus

Three cheers for anyone willing to provide documentation for an OSS project!
Apart from a simple and unified installer, the biggest thing missing from
Linux is documentation.

> The fonts issue is a high one, but difficult to solve at the moment -
> not hopeless though. One of the difficulties is the wide variations in
> the way Linux distros handle fonts. Xfree86 4.3.0 is now out and Keith
> Packard's fontconfig while not perfect is under very active development.
> This will bring a lot of sanity to font configuration in Xfree86. The
> transition will take some time.

I look forward to this being done. This is the only obstacle to my using
Scribus full-time.

> I think Franz has a heavily upgraded version of Suse 7.0. I am sure he
> will confirm at some point.

Franz, are you on the list?

> The gist: Adobe tested the Linux market with Framemaker, along with
> watching Corel's Linux financial losses and concluded the Linux market
> is unwilling to pay the same price for Adobe professional applications
> as Win and Mac users. (There I think they are dead wrong.)

I think they may have a point. If I can get the GIMP to replace Photoshop,
Zope to replace GoLive, Sweep to replace CoolEdit Pro (not an Adobe product,
but you get the point), why wouldn't I expect that a free application would
eventually come along to replace InDesign? And it has. I think open-source is
well on the way to de-commidifying software. I've always liked Macs and Adobe,
but I'll jump at the opportunity to get equally-good software for free. I'll
even be happy to contribute to the effort (see below).

> > > When Scribus is ready for the big time, I'll be free at last.
>
> We are getting there...
>
> I think Franz has done a remarkable job, considering he has essentially
> been a one man show without any outside support. Like me, a real job and
> family. Considering the feature set right now compared to when I started
> working in earnest on the documentation, it really is amazing how
> capable Scribus has become.

I totally agree. I'm not a programmer, so I can't contribute that way. I am,
however, a designer, and I am happy to do what I can. For example, I sent
Franz some ideas on the layout of Scribus, which he integrated into the
Measurements palette in 0.9.8pre. I have more ideas as well, laid out in QT
Designer. If folks would like to see the files, or screenshots thereof, let me
know. I'm very interested in feedback.

Steve

==
http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=603