[Scribus] Re: Scribus Veröffentlichung von ineiti at linusetviviane.ch erfordert Bestätigung

Franz Schmid Franz.Schmid
Mon Jun 30 21:01:44 CEST 2003

> Linus Gasser <ineiti at linusetviviane.ch>
>
> Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:15:36 +0000
>
> scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
>

> Subject: Re: [Scribus] Symbols font
> Date: Monday 30 June 2003 06:44
> From: Martin Kavec <martin.kavec at uku.fi>
> To: Linus Gasser <ineiti at linusetviviane.ch>
>
> On Saturday 28 June 2003 21:53, Linus Gasser wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 28 June 2003 12:12, Martin Kavec wrote:
>>
>>>And finally, 1.0 RC1 crashes if I have a picture in a document and try to
>>>save it as pdf.
>>
>>Hi,
>>it's always good to have an as detailed as possible step-by-step
>>description of how to crash the program or how to reproduce an error. And
>>the more simple it is, the better. Like:
>>
>>Start scribus - new document - insert 2.4MByte color TIFF - save as pdf -
>>crash
>>
>>That usually helps a lot!
>

> Hi,
>
> you are right, I should have written more. At least I would know how I
>  crushed the application, because at the moment I am not able (even with the
>  same png) to replicate it. On the other hand, it's good.
Do your remember the steps to replicate it, even if it doesn't work all the time?

> However, the font rendering problem is perfectly replicable and I would be
> glad to hear an opinion.
>
> I start the application > new A4 document > insert textbox > set the font
> Greek symbols > leave the size default > write couple of chars > save the
> document as pdf > and the results are clear pdf and no chars in the text
> frame.
You should embed Symbol Fonts when exporting to PDF.

> Overlay problem:
>
> I start the application > new A4 document > insert textbox > set the font >
> leave the size default > write couple of chars > save the document as pdf >
> and the results are attached.
>
> I attached the snapshot of the scribus window (to see the font rendering),
> scribus document and the pdf. Monotype font looks OK in pdf, while Palatino
> and Bookman look a bit weird. Especially the Palatino.
The font rendering on the Screen is a complex problem. Some fonts do a little
overlapping of their Character Bouning Boxes, most notable for Italic Fonts.

When editing a Text I must clear the Area the new Character occupies and then
write the new one. With Italic Fonts you always erase some of the Char before,
because the erased Area is a Rectangle. But the rendering should be ok when
not in Editing Mode.

For the PDF Output it is advisable to embed the nonstandard Fonts always,
everything that is not Times, Helvetica or Arial should be embedded.

Best Regards,
Franz Schmid