[Scribus] Scribus RC1.0

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Jun 29 19:01:34 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:46, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>  Scribus RC1.0:
>
> I just found scribus and I'm very impressed so far.  I've been trying to
> use it to make a large poster (90 cm x 110cm).  I started with version
> 0.9.7 and it worked fine with creating the poster background.
>
> When I upgraded to RC1.0 I noticed a significant increase in the time it
> took for scribus to render to the screen.  Doing anything with the
> document meant waiting 1-5 seconds for the screen to update.  This is on
> a dual Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 2GB of RAM.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem.   I have gone back to using 0.9.7 for
> now but am wondering if this slowdown is going to be a permanent problem.

Have you enabled color management ? This does slow down the display of
images somewhat.

Have you enabled PDF 1.4 transparency features  in Edit > Preferences >
General > Display ?  This does slow down display by about half in my
experience. This is not enabled by default and should only be enabled
for files which include this feature.

Could be due to the addition of freetype support which renders the type
on the page. This is an ehancement of the text display and support right
to left languages, but may be slowing down the display. Which versions
of major libraries do you have installed ?

Hope this are useful hints. Generally, I have not found a significant
difference in display speed  in all of the versions since 0.8.

Regards,
Peter