[Scribus] small 0.9.11.1 problem

tech at atlantictechsolutions.com tech
Sun Jun 22 22:48:39 CEST 2003

At Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:46:14 +0200 , Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:42:58 +0200
>Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:27:16 -0400
>> Patrick <magicpage91 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> > (snip)

>> > =========================
>> >
>> > Have you recently updated Gnome with Ximian Desktop 2 as well, Franky?
>> >
>> > From what I have seen of late and I don't know if either you or Peter
>> > are running RH 9 Gnome2 out of the box, but the new XD2
>> > installation/update seems to be breaking some KDE programs/functions.
>> >
>> > That might be the difference or not, I am not sure, just mentioning
>> > it.
>>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> I didn't update gnome with the Ximian Desktop 2, just the standard
>> redhat 9 updates (and I don't think they even have any updates for
>> gnome, but I do the updates automatically, so I don't really know)
>
>ok, I tested it in kde and it works, but it seems that the window
>boundings there aren't perfect as well: the boundings seem to become
>slightly overwritten by the content of the window, just like if the inner
>window is moved up just a bit too much (not quite correctly positioned) so
>the result is that for example the "X" for closing the window is not
>completely visible (only 98%) but you have to look closely to it to see it
>(I was really observing the boudings so I discovered this, and when
>comparing to the main scribus window I really saw the difference)
>This might result that under gnome the boundings completely don't show ...

Franky, This is a metacity bug. Metacity is the window manager which is included in RH 8 and 9 with Gnome. The replaced sawfish which was in RH 7.x.

Franz sent me a possible workaround and I have tested and confirmed the solution on a brand new yesterday RH 9 install.

When I am home this evening, I will write up a howto to fix this.

Hope that helps to solve the mystery.

Peter