[Scribus] 0.9.11.1 problem

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Sat Jun 21 14:56:52 CEST 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:26:28 +0200
Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:01:19 +0200
> Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:
>
> > I just finished installing all updates (redhat 9.0 on atlon pc), and
> > I' still having this problem. It doesn't happen all the time, but only
> > sometimes when you open a document (either existing or new), not when
> > you start scribus or work in a doc that has been successfully opened.
> > I see then that the X server starts to consume all available memory
> > (this rendering the system almost unusable), but killing scribus
> > solves the problem and brings everything back to normal. Here's the
> > latest part of a scribus trace:
> >
> > select(6, [3 4 5], [], [], {1, 670000}) = 0 (Timeout)
> > gettimeofday({1056196699, 114809}, NULL) = 0
> > ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0])                 = 0
> > select(6, [3 4 5], [], [], NULL <unfinished ...>
>
> I just found that qt-3.1.2 is recommended, and redhat officially only
> distributes qt-3.1.1, so now I'm downloading from one of the kde sites
> the stable redhat 9 qt rpms, and will let you know the result.

For the moment the upgrade seems to have fixed the Xserver going berzerk,
I'll keep you posted.
Although I must say it's kind of weird that you need to install rpm's not
even officially released for a distro in order to get a stable running
program. For me this is not a problem to do, but I'm guessing that
unexperienced linux users could get scared away by this.
For the rest: I'm still loving this program, keep up to good work!

Franky