[Scribus] Ligatures

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Jun 21 01:33:52 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 10:08, Lars T?uber wrote:
> tech at atlantictechsolutions.com wrote:
>
> > At Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:25:37 +0200 , Lars =?ISO-8859-1?Q?T=E4uber?= <taeuber at bbaw.de> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi everybody,
> >>
> >>I'd like to use scribus for a wedding paper. Therefore I want ot know if
> >> scribus can make use of ligatures of type-1 fonts?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>Lars T?uber
> >>

> > Yes and for a fancy script font, try to obtain the .afm files. Scribus - when freetype2 is installed, can use this for automatic kerning. This helps to preserve good spacing for the characters.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > Peter
> >

> That sounds very good, thanks alot.
> What about opentype fonts where the kerning information is included in
> one file? Does scribus support these?

I do not believe yet.

Support for Open Type fonts is recent in Linux. Freetype2 can handle
them, but some other supporting libraries lack Open Type support.

For that matter, very few applications on a Mac or Windows really take
advantage of the features in Open Type fonts. The one application which
does use Open Type to its fullest is Indesign.

Hope that helps,

Peter