Fwd: Re: [Scribus] msg2qm

Patrick magicpage91
Mon Jul 28 22:34:32 CEST 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:29:49 -0400
Tom Jakabfy <tjakabfy at idirect.com> wrote:

> Maybe that's why...
>
> Last night Mandrake 9.1 (KDE 3.1) crashed... NO  DM (no gui!!!)
> ...only TEXT.
>
> this is the 3rd time for Mandrake 9.1 and 9.0.
> [drm:radeon_unlock]
> Can't use agpgart anymore!
>
> Ati all-in-wonder agp card no longer works?????
>
> There was a message regarding a qt library not being found...
> (libqt-mt.so.3),,, but it is there (a link to the newer libqt-mt.so.3)
>
> Now I can't even use Scribus (no x!)
>
> Anybody have any good advice (besides using Suse or RH) ??
>
> Tom
====================

Tom,
If not SuSE or RH, how about Gentoo or Debian?  ;o)

Seriously, as I remember while on the XFree86 list, both RH and MDK (a
derivative of RH) had problems with the new XFree86 4.3 setup.  Not
because of the XFree86 mind you, but because of their implementation of
it.  As we have found out on this list, MDK & Slackware shipped with a
bad version of QT as well.  I am not sure if MDK has fixed the problems
with their new 9.2 yet, but twice burned with it would want to make me
move to something different.

You could try installing a new XFree86 to begin with or running your
graphics setup software in MDK to get your card working again.  You
should be able to do that from the command line/konsole mode, if you can
at least boot to init 3 still.

My suggestion is to move on though as your continued problems with your
present setup seems to worsen the more you attempt to fix it.

Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---
        Registered Linux User #225206