[Scribus] utf8 issue when printing

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos
Sun Jul 20 17:04:02 CEST 2003

I?m running 1.0 on a gnetoo box in an en_US.UTF-8 locale.

I use cups & gs8 + hpijs to print to an Officejet D.

[But I just discovered that cups? LANG is not set; perhaps that
is why printing didn?t quite work for me.  Even if so someone
else might see the problem and not figure it out, so ... -JimC]

I had the character ? (U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT) in a text box.  When
printed via scribus? print dialog, I got the latin1 version of
the utf-8 encoding of the character: ? ?? ?.

The postscript genereated, as seen when printed to a file, has
the character like this:

   (?) 307.207 -10.6 0 0 0 1 shm

Ie, with the character encoded in utf-8.

Interestingly, acroread 5.0.5 on linux can display the exported pdf
OK, but cannot print it either.  It generated (\226) rather than (?)
and that prints as a missing character box....

I changed the character from MIDDLE DOT to U+2022 BULLET and scribus
now generates this ps:

   /bullet 307.32 -10.6 0 0 0 1 shg

This also does the right thing when using acroread to print (or
generate ps from) the exported pdf.

So the problem seems to be only w/ unicode characters that are part
of latin1, excluding ASCII.

(The document I was working on uses Arial Narrow, if that matters.)

As a side note, ttf fonts look bad on screen, though they print well.

-JimC