[Scribus] some fonts fail

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Dec 31 06:15:14 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 19:15, bart at solozone.com wrote:
> My wingdings.ttf fails completely in Scribus cvs December 28, 2003 (and prior).

> The keyboard does not register at all if this is selected!

> Also a "video" font from hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts does

>  not survive export by pdf as Acrobat Reader says

> it cannot extract the embedded font. Shall I send an attachment of these?
<snip>

No need.

1) That video font has something broken. Not recommended for use with
Scribus. Adobe Type Manager choked on it too, indicating something
amiss.

2) wingdings.ttf and webdings.ttf have non-standard encodings and are
known to be troublesome in postscript - not just Scribus. I have seen
issues with wingdings on Indesign 2.02, Pagemaker and Win2k. When I
setup Pit Stop, which pre-flights PDF's for press, these fonts are
flagged - if only to be sure they embed properly - which is not always
the case.

The other fonts which I know do not work because of the iffy quality is
the Hershey fonts which are installed in Suse. I do not understand why
these fonts are even installed they are so faulty.