[Scribus] vector graphics, Inkscape VS Sodipodi

Decapode Azur blue_prawn
Mon Dec 22 10:03:07 CET 2003

> Not sure if many here are aware of the new program available for
> creating and handling SVG graphics.  Inkscape is branching off from
> Sodipodi with a clear road map and I believe, a brighter future for a
> vectors grapic program for Linux.  It already is impressive with the
> user interface and, I think, much easier and nicer to use because of
> that fact alone.

IMHO I do not find it more easy since the buttons are not all in the interface
so one have to look everywhere to find where those are hidden :p

I use Inkscape since one week, and for very big SVG file, Inkscape is very
very slow compared to Sodipodi (Just like when you compare edit big SVG files
with vim or emacs;) (well sorry for trolling, i know it brings nowhere but I
just can't help it, it is so fun:)

But indeed Inkscape have some quite nice extra features :)

Another important point is
Inkscape is far more stable / Sodipodi is sometimes* very unstable.
(* I really don't know why it is not allways)

> Peter, of Scribus fame, turned me onto it just recently.  I decided
> after compiling it, that I should make a real rpm available to other
> SuSE 9.0 users.  I have created a RPM for SuSE 9.0 and passed it along
> to the Inkspace developers to include on their download site.  The
> src.rpm is there also, so other linux distro users might be able to
> alter the spec file enough to use on their systems.  SuSE is now putting
> all their Gnome programs in /opt/gnome, in an effort to more closely
> adhere to the LSB.  I don't think Gnome is located in the same location
> for other distros.

I have compile and install it under Mandrake, it works just fine,
no deps problems!
Mandrake is also LSB compliant.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.2/features/#13

> Anyway, give it a look and see if you don't like the changes as much as
> I did.  It still gives you all the Sodipodi features, plus a few more
> and expect many more after the new year!

I do hope that these two softwares will share pieces of code to evoluate
equivalently in the futur, since some people will prefer one interface, or
the other.

Anyway competition is good because it boosts.

++