[Scribus] CMS dialog

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Mon Dec 8 15:37:15 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 03:49, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Hi,
> my name is Kai-Uwe Behrmann from Chemnitz/Germany. I work as free
> programmer and photograph panoramas on medium format film.
<snip>

> Now comes my question to the look and feel, the reason I initially signed
> in to this list.
> Why do scribus use these kind of lists for profile selecting? Where comes
> it from? I have seen this dialog designas well in Karl-Heinz Kraemers
> colour-manager plug-in for gimp.
>
> Next:
> You show one profile selection for Images and one for Colours, what are
> they intented for? (Hope, I dont repeat former asked questions.)

The idea is images like photos might have a a different device profile
assigned to them: i.e. RGB scanner profile or perhaps Adobe RGB, which
is better suited for RGB > CMYK than standard sRGB.

For example, if I edit a photo in Photoshop, which I know will be
converted to CMYK, I will most likely use Adobe RGB as a working RGB
space and embed this profile in the image. Why? Adobe RGB (and Bruce RGB
if you know it) are better suited for converting RGB eventually to CMYK.
The gamuts are a better match.

This device icc profile, might be quite a bit different than colors, as
solid colors are typically only defined sRGB.

So hopefully, that helps to explain why there are different choices
within the color management preferences.

Feel free to join us on #scribus at irc.freenode.net for detailed
discussions.

Regards,
Peter