[Scribus] was color management, now optimized pdf

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Dec 3 07:42:48 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:16, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > If a PDF is or is not "Optimized" has no bearing on the quality, fitness
> > for printing or compression of the file. Basically, unless you are
> > creating docs with dozens of pages per file and you intend to host them
> > on a high traffic server, ignore this.
>
> If you /do/ need to linearize PDFs, you can do this after they're
> exported from Scribus using 'pdfopt' from GhostScript.
>
> Craig Ringer

Hi Craig,

Interesting.. One of the lesser known features of Ghostscript.So of
course, I had to try it :)

My completely unscientific testing:

Any Scribus PDF which has presentation effects, Javascript, Form Buttons
or Fields causes gs to die an ugly death. This is quite common in my
experience.

Random sampling of PDF's from Scribus which are a mixture of text and
images:

Original:	After pdfopt:
96kb		187kb
111kb		213kb
80kb		214.6kb

This is consistent with my experience with recent Scribus PDF and
Acrobat 5.0.5. The file size is larger after linearization.

I have not tried it yet with Acrobat 6.0, as Acrobat 6.0 does not have
parsing issues with Scribus PDF's like 5.0.5.

I discovered this workaround to get Acrobat 5.0.5/Pit Stop 5.04 to read
Scribus PDF's. Just open in Acrobat and resave with linearization
enabled. Then Acro 5.0.5 and Pit Stop are happy. I think it is a bug in
5.0.5, as Markzware Flight Check Pro, Indesign nor Illy 10 have any
problems with Scribus PDF's. Illy 10 imports Scribus PDF's without a
problem and all objects are fully editable.

Regards,
Peter