[Scribus] was color management, now optimized pdf

P Linnell scribusdocs
Tue Dec 2 19:03:58 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 12:29, James Bowes wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:00, P Linnell wrote:
>

> > Hi there,
> >
> > Define "Optimized" in the sense of which destination and what are you
> > trying to produce.
> >
> Hi.
>
> Well, I am writing simple documents with a text frame on the left - it
> has a horizontal gradient. The text on the right won't involve any fancy
> graphics though it will have a simple border. I have selected to embed
> the fonts and use the v5 pdf compatibility when exporting the file. When
> I view the pdf properties through acroread, it shows it as not being
> optimized. Does this require some sort of compression or something??

> I'm sure you can tell this is somewhat new to me though I am fairly
> comfortable with scribus so far...
>
> Thanks for any and all answers everyone.
>
> -james

"Optimized" in the Acro Reader sense actually a special way of writing
the PDF file in a linear fashion. Technically, the term is
linearization.

What this does in essence is to write the file, so it can be downloaded
page by page from a web server.  This is benefitial for larger or longer
pdfs. Moreover, to enable this, you need have special httpd directives
and i think a special mod to enable this with Apache.

If a PDF is or is not "Optimized" has no bearing on the quality, fitness
for printing or compression of the file. Basically, unless you are
creating docs with dozens of pages per file and you intend to host them
on a high traffic server, ignore this.

It was a bad choice of word by the Adobe UI folks. It really means:
"Optimized for byte serving by web server."

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Peter