[Scribus] Installation and running

fsanta fsanta
Sat Aug 30 21:05:34 CEST 2003

On Saturday 30 August 2003 17:21, Pat Alessi wrote:
> I am a Linux newbie trying to get Scribus to run.
>
> My first attempt said that I needed Qt so I downloaded it, did ./configure
> --thread  ; gmake (or something like that...that's what it said to do) and
> make install. It went smootily
>
> Then I did the scribus ./configure ; make and make install. I got some
> compiler warnings, but it also seemed to work.
>
> When I try to run scribus from my home directory as root, I got:
> Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
> authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
> authentication failed
> scribus: relocation error: scribus: undefined symbol: _ZN7QWidget7repaintEb
>
> When I tried to run it under my account I got:
> scribus: relocation error: scribus: undefined symbol: _ZN7QWidget7repaintEb
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

Don't run Scribus as root.
Try this under kde:

-Log in as yourself
-right clik on the tarball you downloaded
-extract here
-Change to the new scribus directory it makes
-./configure
-make (grab a cool beer now)
-now change to root: su and then enter the root password (if you are on a
network then get your administrator to do the next bit for you)
-make install
-lose root: exit
-scribus
-be amazed at being able to rotate frames and flow the text around them. My
Students are!

Have I missed anything out?

Cheers, Steve.