[Scribus] Font recognition

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Aug 30 02:43:35 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 19:42, Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:11:12 +0800
> ephemeron <ephemeron at uk2.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems getting Scribus (1.0.1) to recognize TrueType
> > fonts installed on my system which both Abiword and KWord
> > recognize without any additional configuration.  Only PostScript
> > fonts appear in the font dialogs.
> >
> > Am I right to assume I have TrueType support?
> >
> > ldd /usr/local/bin/scribus | grep typ
> > 	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x40025000)
> >
> > My ~/.scribus/scribusfont.rc contains the single entry below.
> > The path was set from the dialog and not edited by hand.
> >
> > /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight

scribusfont.rc should just list font directories - the above is correct.

> Hi,
> This has been discussed earlier about fonts and Scribus.  Usually what
> you are observing is not a Scribus malfunction, but bad or very low
> quality truetype fonts.  From what I have gathered in the previous
> conversations, is that truetype's are usually the bottom feeders of the
> font world, so when talking about high quality fonts, truetype seldom
> makes it into the conversation.  :o)

As for True Type vs. postscript - that is another debate.

My observation is it is easier with available font editors to create and
package TT fonts vs. Type 1 fonts. That is where TT gets a bad rap.
There are lots of free and shareware TT fonts which are internally not
well done. There *are* good high quality TT fonts and they work fine
with Scribus.

It is *very* important to consider the source of the fonts. Most any TT
font from respected foundrys like Bitstream, Agfa Monotype, Adobe (yes
Adobe  - I have a couple floating around somewhere..), B+H, Font Bureau
should work fine.

<snip>
> Not sure if an archive is being kept of the mail list, but it's possible
> I still have the old mails previously covering this subject.

it is here:

http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/

Start with this thread and read it through.
http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2003-August/001812.html

There a lots of hints for MacOSX and Linux relating to fonts,
installation and how Scribus works with fonts.

Hope that helps,
Peter