[Scribus] Font recognition

Patrick magicpage91
Sat Aug 30 01:42:40 CEST 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:11:12 +0800
ephemeron <ephemeron at uk2.net> wrote:

> I'm having problems getting Scribus (1.0.1) to recognize TrueType
> fonts installed on my system which both Abiword and KWord
> recognize without any additional configuration.  Only PostScript
> fonts appear in the font dialogs.
>
> Am I right to assume I have TrueType support?
>
> ldd /usr/local/bin/scribus | grep typ
> 	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x40025000)
>
> My ~/.scribus/scribusfont.rc contains the single entry below.
> The path was set from the dialog and not edited by hand.
>
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight

=====================

Hi,
This has been discussed earlier about fonts and Scribus.  Usually what
you are observing is not a Scribus malfunction, but bad or very low
quality truetype fonts.  From what I have gathered in the previous
conversations, is that truetype's are usually the bottom feeders of the
font world, so when talking about high quality fonts, truetype seldom
makes it into the conversation.  :o)

A couple of things you might want to check.  Usually truetype fonts work
best if there are no spaces or caps in the name of the font.  Check your
sources for the fonts to know whether you have as high quality of
fonts you can get.  You didn't say what Linux distro you were using, so
I can't comment on how you should approach installing and being sure you
have integrated the fonts well into the system.  The fact that your
other programs see and print them tends to point to working fonts, but
not quality fonts.

In any circumstances, Type1 postscript fonts are going to give you the
best quality and even some of those fall short, but 9 times out of 10,
they will prove to be the best for your system and Scribus.  There are
many Type1's available around the net, as well as available at many
stores on cd.

Not sure if an archive is being kept of the mail list, but it's possible
I still have the old mails previously covering this subject.

Regards,
Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---