[Scribus] pdf woes

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Mon Aug 25 23:46:40 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I'm having some issues related to PDF creation here. In all cases, the
"official" 1.0.1 version is used.

1) size issues:
I have a document of 14 pages (so not that big) and if I print out the
first page only to PDF, it's size is 19,8 MB (with only one line of text
on it).
Now if I take the same page in a seperate document (either by doing new
document-> import or by editing the sla file and removing all other pages)
 and generate a pdf out of it, it's size is 290 KB (and the dcument
contains all the same fonts).
In attachment you can find the good and the bad sla files (gzipped). The
difference between the 2 is that the "bad" sla file has a template in it,
which is used on pages 2 till 14, but not on page 1, which was used for
printing. Removing the image from the template created almost equal pdf
files in both cases, so it might be that this is all normal ... Would
"compress text and vector graphics" resolve this as well?

2) in attachment you can find a ghostscript error when trying to view pdf
files generated from either of the included sla files. As you can see, it
fails to read them, while xpdf has no problem at all. Again it seems to be
a font issue? Ghostscript version is the standard up-to-date redhat 9.0
version (7.0.2 iirc).

3) instability: sometimes (1 out of 5 times) scribus crashes when trying
to generate a pdf file, sometimes it generates pdf files of 200 MB and
more and crashes then ... unreproducable btw  :-(

4) fonts used: it seems the sla file contains a reference to all fonts
once used it the doc, even if they're not used any more (see included sla
files as an example). It would be nice if this got cleaned up so when you
do "embed all fonts" you only embed the fonts actually used.

5) And a small feature request: a progress bar when printing to pdf
(and/or ps) would be nice ...

Franky