[Scribus] Newbie font-question

Ralf Höling r.hoeling
Mon Aug 18 18:44:26 CEST 2003

Am Sonntag, 17.08.03, um 21:05 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Peter
Linnell:

> However, many TT fonts migrated from Windows are installed with upper
> case names and/or extensions i.e. .TTF  Bad.  If so, Scribus will
> sometimes not find them. If not rename them to lower case and rebuild
> fonts.scale and fonts.dir - in that order with ttfmkdir.

You're kidding? You mean I have to rename all my fonts? I think I have
never had a font with lower case names.

> Other hints: Avoid duplicate fonts in both the X font directories and
> other user-land directories, like the ones enabled in KDE etc. If you
> use KDE open the startkde script to see how it works. I personally
> disable it upon installing an updated KDE.
I don't use kde, I use MacOSX 10.2.6 and X11 from Apple and fink.

> With the latest versions of KDE 3.1.1+, I have found the Kfontinstaller
I think this is not available for MacOSX.

> Scribus is necessarily quite particular about how your fonts are
> installed and configured. Not a bug - a feature IMNSHO.
I think there was someone with the name of Bill who also told people
the same about his software ;-)
> In the DTP world
> crappy broken fonts or poor installation cause lots of problems.
I work with my fonts on Mac for over ten years without any problem
  and now they shall be crappy?

> Even good high quality fonts from Adobe and Bitstream can act up in
> postscript.
And why do the same fonts work without problem creating pdfs on MacOSX?

Thank you for your help, but I think Scribus is too difficult for me up
to now.

Regards
Ralf