[Scribus] grid problems

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Aug 18 07:42:09 CEST 2003

> Try backing up by renaming your .scribus directory which has all the
> preference files. I noticed this once in a while with the 1.0 release
> candidates. IIRC, Franz put in a fix for this before 1.0.

I'll give it a try.

> The way Scribus imports PDF is to create a high res image of the PDF via
> ghostscript.

It does?!?
Hmm... does it handle EPSes the same way? If so, then I don't think it
will be useful to me at present after all. I was wondering why it took
so long to redraw, too.

If the image is just used as a preview, then that's only sensible - but
if the final use of the PDF is done as an image, I won't be able to use
it for anything much.

> *That* is one of several reasons we recommend the latest
> versions of Ghostscript. The latest 7.07 incorporates lots of bugfixes
> and works better with the kind of high level PDF and PS Scribus can
> generate. Example: With 7.07, I can reimport Scribus created PDF 1.4
> with transparency. With 7.05, I would frequently get gs crashes and
> errors.

Good to know, thanks. I'll try grabbing a newer gs.

> I use the KDE 3.1.2 packages from ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/
> exclusively in place of RH provided packages. These are more faithful to
> the stock KDE than the RH ones and re-enable some very useful things in
> KDE like the Kfontinstaller and Kpackage.

Hmm... I don't use the KDE environment, so I can't say that's a factor
for me. Or does Scribus use KDE bits as well as the basic QT?

> Personally, I've given up the use of RH Qt packages. There are just too
> many invasive patches which seems to cause problems with Scribus. Since
> compiling my own  Qt 3.1.2, a number of errors and crashes, which Franz
> could not duplicate have disappeared.

OK, so I shouldn't expect scribus to work as expected w/o first
installing new QT packages for RH, is that correct? Perhaps RH just
don't test their patches that well in anything but the apps they ship
with their distro?

It'll be interesting to see how the "new" RH development plans affect
things like patched-to-hell kernels and toolkits in Red Hat's distros.

Craig Ringer