[Scribus] grid problems

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Aug 17 16:28:12 CEST 2003

Hi folks

I'm trying to use Scribus (1.0) to create a document, and I need a 1
inch grid on an A0 landscape page. Having created the document, and
turned on 'show guides', I set the units to inches in the preferences,
then changed the guides setup to have major grid = 1.0 in, minor grid =
0.1 in, snap to grid=0.1 in. Seems reasonable (well, as reasonable as
possible using inches :-P ).

The guides appeared as a near-solid grid instead. When I then tried to
check what they'd been set to, I saw that the measurements were set to
'0.01', '0.1' and '0.01' respectively. Strange.

It actually looks like the grid measurements change for no apparent
reason whenever I go into the prefs, even if I change nothing - so long
as the unit type is != points.

Needless to say, this is a strange one.

If I create a new document with guides (20, 100, 10 pt) ie (minor,
major, snap) and switch to mm units, then look at the guides again w/o
closing the prefs window, I see (7.06,35.28,3.53)mm . If I close the
prefs dialog and immediately reopen it, in the guides I now see (2.49,
12.45, 1.25)mm . Strange, eh?

It doesn't matter what measurement (so long as it's not pt) or page
size/orintation I use, this still happens.

I'm running Red Hat 9 ( qt 3.1.1 ) .

BTW, I also found that placing a 216kb PDF, scaled to full page size,
onto an A0 page resulted in a 28mb exported PDF from scribus. Strikes me
as a bit odd, but I'd have to look into it more to say anything more
than 'weird'.

Craig Ringer