[Scribus] Documentation

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Aug 16 18:44:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 18:22, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:53:04 +0200
> P Linnell <scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com> wrote:
>
> <snip />
>

> > I made a concious decision to really hammer the hell out ( and I did ;) of the
> > 1.0 release candidates in testing right up to the last minute with a new
> > workstation in a real pre-press environment, which were lent to me by a
> > client. So, this put back some things which are not finished.
>
> Can you tell me more about that??? What is your "a real pre-press environment"??
>
> Greetings,
>
> Tom

Catching up on the mail I missed on holiday....

"Real pre-press enviroment:

6 Win2k boxes AthlonXP, PIII or P4 with the full array of Adobe Print
apps: PM 7.0.1, ID 2.0.2, PS 6 or 7, Illy 10, Acrobat 5 and 6 etc.,
Corel Draw Suite, Quark 4 and 5, all have at least 512MB ram and ATA 100
drives.

One AthlonXP and one P4 workstation are dual boot Win2k/RH9 machines
<<These are the Scribus test boxes>>

Preflight tools:

Enfocus Pit Stop Professional 5.04

Callas PDF Inspektor

Markzware Flight Check Pro 4.5

All monitors -  high end Sony, Samsung or Mitsubishi screens. All
profiled with Monaco, Praxisoft and littlecms profiler tools and
hardware photospectromter.

EFI Colorwise Pro, numerous other DTP utilities and apps.

Controlled environment with full spectrum lighting.

Polaroid 3600 dpi film/slide scanner

Epson Firewire 48 bit 1600DPI (true) Professional scanner with
Silverfast scanning software (the best you can buy)

Microtek B5 scanner

G3 Macs with Mac OS 9, Quark 4.11 and 5, PM 6.52, 7.0 and PS 6

2200 Adobe or Bitstream Type 1 fonts

RH9 Samba Server with Samba 3.0 in Active Directory mode as backup
domain controller, LDAP and DNS etc.

Win2k server with mirrored 83 GB LV-SCA raid arrays with Adaptec U160
SCSI controllers, load balanced adapter teamed Intel Pro server network
cards

Cisco Routers and Switches

Cat 6e wiring

2 HP inkjet proofers with Adobe PS3

HP Laserjet with Adobe PS engine

EFI Fiery RIP, 512MB Ram  with newest Adobe Extreme PS3 engine and PDF
1.4 support, supports PDF 1.4 and in RIP separations, true CMYK 1200 dpi
printer with Pantone color support and hardware icc profiling

Having access to all this has been invaluable in testing Scribus,
especially having a Linux desktop aside the DTP production machines.
Plus there are thousands of image files TIFF, EPS etc. to use in
testing. Basically everything short of a platesetter.

Hope that helps,

Peter