[Scribus] PB compiling Scribus 1.0.1 RH 9 with last updates

John Culleton john
Wed Aug 13 19:06:47 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 11:55, Peter Linnell wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 02:44, HAHN Nicolas wrote:
> > Hi, and thanks for your answer.
> >
> > Your solution solves the first problem, the one with libtiff, which is
> > now recognised.
> >
> > But compilation still stops after the gzputs problem. zlib-1.1.4-8 and
> > its devel package are installed on my RedHat 9.
> >
> > Another hint for me, please ? ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > NHN

I set up a whole separate partition with Gentoo version of Linux just to get
around these perpetual library problems with Scribus and other bleeding edge
applications. So Scribus (any version) compiles clean, and for all I know, may
actually work.  Be advised that installing Gentoo takes a couple of overnight
downloads/updates (I mean all night long)  and some daytime work before you
get everything working.

I now have two problems. Gentoo won't recognize my printer and there is no
beginner's tutorial for Scribus. I can live without the printer, but until
the tutorial surfaces I can't play.

It appears that Scribus and Qt on which it depends  are volatile enough that
using the more popular versions of Linux (I use Slackware 9 for most things)
will cause problems. Thus far we have heard from Mandrake users, Slackware
users, and now RedHat.  Gentoo is from the opposite end of the Linux
spectrum but Scribus does indeed compile and execute on it.

So when you get that tutorial ready, I'm waiting.

John Culleton