[Scribus] Problem with line breaks

Alastair Robinson blackfive
Fri Aug 8 17:12:34 CEST 2003

Hi Randolph,

On Friday 08 August 2003 2:10 am, Randolph Bentson wrote:

> Careful of what you ask for, there are consequences.
>
> In the 0.9.7 implementation the line spacing is defined for the
> entire text box (PAGEOBJECT).  It appears to be derived from the
> first text put in the box.  If each change to font size resulted

Ah - I didn't realise that.  I'd assumed that the line spacing was an
attribute of the text itself, not the box it's in.

> in a corresponding change to line spacing, the lines of the entire
> text box will open up and close together as a function of the last
> font size used.  If one could explicitly change the line spacing
> for the text box, one could adjust for the worst case after all
> the lines of text have been established.  This would give the user
> better control, but in either case, the "all lines in the text box
> are equally spaced" means one will get lines of small text that are
> too far apart or lines of large text which are too close together.

Hmmm - in the longer term should we think about changing the layout code so
that the line spacing isn't fixed like this?  All the DTP software I've used
(even going back as far as PageSetterII on the Amiga) has allowed the leading
to be set along with the point size for any selection.

Is QT currently responsible for choosing where the lines break, or does
Scribus do this itself?

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson
Email: blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk

One out of every two game show hosts had a severe head injury as a child.