[Scribus] suggestions

Paul paulf.johnson
Thu Aug 7 09:41:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > Pagemaker was a doddle (took about an hour to figure the basics out),
> > Quark is a constant pain (after three weeks, it was unstable. After 6
> > weeks, it more stable, but still unstable!)
>
> heh - it only has to be better at opening Quark files than Quark. And
> that's not as hard a target as it should be ;-)

Yup. The ability to remain stable under such difficult circumstances
really is virtually impossible ;-p

> > and I don't have any
> > documentation for InDesign format, so that could be anything.
>
> If sample InDesign files are needed, I can help out.

If you can send a smallish InDesign file or two with associated PDFs so
I can figure out what goes where to me (off list), I'd appreciate it.

> Another one I'd suggest for "impossibly nasty" would be Word. An MS word
> "text only + text styles" import would be very handy, but full
> formatting... there's no point IMHO. If it's needed, it might be better
> done by loading a word doc in OO.o (which has established mediocre but
> working word import) and copy+paste to Scribus.

Well, there is also another soon to me importer from OOo to Scribus...

> Personally, I don't get the need for file-format compatability. It's
> handy, but not all that much more.

It's simple. It is yet another reason for dropping expensive crap and
going over to high quality, high stability free software. One of the
reasons that Scribus can't be used in Journalism courses in higher ed
(in the UK) is that samples have to be submitted in Quark format. The
ability to import and export to/from Quark is therefore a big need.

TTFN

Paul
--
One OS to fool them all