[Scribus] Summary of the Documentation-Thread from yesterday

fsanta fsanta
Tue Aug 5 14:05:58 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 13:43, ma han wrote:
>  --- Thomas Zastrow <chef at thomas-zastrow.de> schrieb:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > so. just let me summarize the documentation-Thread
> > from yesterday.
> >
> > There are two possible tasks for me to do:
> >
> > - Traslation of Peter's page into german
> > - Make some more complex Tutorials etc.
> >
> > What is more important and should be done first?
>
> A simple, task-driven tutorial for beginners like e.g.
> "First Steps with Scribus" or "How to create a leaflet
> with Scribus"  is bitterly needed - IMHO much more,
> than a translation of Peter's docs into german. At
> this stage many (judging from postings in Usenet
> groups) people want to give Scribus a go and their
> mostly very simple questions are to be answered.
>
> Some poeple (fsanta) on the list asked some weeks ago,
> some others (Peter, Joe Villari, if I'm not wrong)
> volunteered  to do such a thing - perhaps they already
> have something you can build on.
>
> If there was such a tutorial, I would eagerly
> translate it into Polish (either from English or from
> German).
>
> best regards
> Maciej Hanski

Hi everyone. It's an interesting question which I don't thnk can be answered.
Unless you have created something with Scribus then you don't know what it
can do. I think the biggest obstacle for me was overcome when I stopped
thinking of it as a glorified word processor. It isn't. I don't think it
would be very useful to publish howto's as this is an artist's piece of
software. Yes, I've changed my mind. I want to layout pages how _I_ want to
lay them out. Put out a tutorial and everyone using Scribus will produce the
same. I let my students loose on it just before the holidays. It seems that
the younger you are the more creative you can be! My advice would be to try
it out. Do eveything with it instead of using your word processor and
graphics package. For a week at least.
Cheers and good luck from Steve.