[Scribus] Importing Text & Docs

Randolph Bentson bentson
Tue Aug 5 01:22:27 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:50:32PM -0400, Marshall Lake wrote:
> First I created a NEW document in scribus.  Then I inserted a TEXTBOX
> covering the entire one page.  I imported text.  So far, so good.  But now
> what?  My NEW scribus document is still a one-page document (even though
> the text I imported fills more than one page).  And I don't see how to
> easily create a second page to the document.  I ended up copying the one
> page to a second page and then cutting the text from the second page.
> And now after clicking on the CREATE TEXTCHAINS icon and clicking on page
> 1 the text overflowed into the text box on page 2.  I went through the
> same thing to overflow the remaining text to a page 3.

You don't have to cut the text!

After you've jammed your text in the box of the first page, 'PAGE > INSERT'
some number of pages after the one page you've created.  Then click the icon
representing 'INSERT TEXTBOX' to make a text box in each of these pages.
Select the box of your first page, then click the icon representing 'CREATE
TEXTCHAINS', then select the text box of the next page to establish that link.

It appears that you have to repeat this three-step process (1-select text box,
2-'CREATE TEXTCHAINS', and 3-select next text box) for each link of the chain.
(Can others describe a better method?)

With the versions of code I'm using, it appears that you have to go to another
page and return to see the text chain to the second page.  Newer versions may
rewrite without this shuffle.

Feature Request: some method to designate text as "a good place to break"
when chaining text.

Programming assignment:  write a script to "create a page with a text box
after the current page, link text box in current page to newly created text
box".

--
Randolph Bentson
bentson at holmsjoen.com