[Scribus] xp fonts:open type

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Apr 26 07:43:41 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 23:56, Bart Alberti wrote:
> Query:
> I still use win98 with its separate ttf and type 1 fonts.
> what happens in Win XP? The so-called open type  font does not distinguish
> between these and Adobe Type Manager gets a complaint from Windows that it
> is incompatible. I see in Linux there are separate ways to deal with these
> types not unified? So how do I call these into Scribus? (other people have
> XP! :-)

I  am quite certain you need latest ATM 4.1 to support Open Type fonts
in Win9x. I do not think V 4.0 supports Open Type.

The most recent versions of freetype do support Open Type, but I am
unsure of the support for them within Qt or Xfree86. So it might be a
while before Scribus could support Open Type fonts.

True Type Based Open Type fonts can be thought of as a True Type font
with a postscript wrapper. At the moment, there are only a few Open Type
fonts which are not available as Type 1 or True Type.

> By the way I am currently struggling in Quark 4.1 to import a pdf which I
> turned into eps using ghost script. It won't do it. etc.

Possible solutions In order of preference:

1) There is a updated v 1.6 PDF import filter, if I recall correctly,
for Quark 4.1 both Win and Mac, which was an update on www.quark.com
Save the PDF as 1.3 in Scribus and place in Quark. I know this works in
Quark 5, as I did this today. Caution though, Quark will not use
embedded font in Scribus, but needs to be installed on the Windows
machine. Testing on a Mac to follow.

2) Open in Illustrator and backsave to v 6 or 7. I have done this to fix
Quark exported PDF's, which would not place in Pagemaker.

3) If on Windows, use the latest Ghostscript 8.00 and GSView 4.4 (just
released)  to convert with epswrite. GS View never rarely has problems
with Scribus PDF in my experience.

4) Use GSView to rewrite the PDF using the pdfwrite device with
pre-press option in GSView.

See my other post earlier regarding PDF quality. Franz has stayed
stricly to the specs, so problems with Scribus PDF is more likely
application bug.

Hope that helps,
Peter
--